OT: Making Large Size Project Backups : What Format To Use?

Domains4Days.com Lists at domains4days.com
Sun Mar 2 11:06:37 PST 2003

When dealing with large size files (1 gig and up) such as graphics / audio
and video -  making backups to CD-R can get cumbersome and time consuming
using many disks to back up one project. (I understand for some people
backing up video, - they simply write the final file back on to the camera
to use as a backup.) For  this thread, I'm more concerned with a discussion
comparing  the media formats:

-CD-R
-CD-RW
-DVD-RAM ( the older format - I believe with a cartridge)
-DVD-R - ( the newer format)
-TAPE DRIVE BACKUP

Some of the obvious points are that CD-R blank disks are very cheap to
purchase right now - and another obvious point is that it gets time
consuming to be backing up to 10 or 20 disks for one large project...

- - -

Q1: One of the most important questions I have is which is the best and most
SAFE and  RELIABLE format for archiving?  Which format has the best chance
for reuse one to five years later? ( I have heard some horror stories were
certain media will not load a few years later due to some kind of
corruption...)

Q2: Which is the best format to make speedy backups?

Q3: Which is the best format to make speedy restores?  For example, what if
you want to  pull just 1 or 2 files out of a big project?  How easily can
you find those files - etc.?

Q4: What other considerations which you have in choosing a large file size
backup / restore system?

--
RevDave
Lists at domains4days.com