[G4] 10.2.5

Snoke Jay S NPRI SnokeJS at Npt.NUWC.Navy.Mil
Wed May 7 12:06:00 PDT 2003

oh boy.  let me pull that wood back off the fire, it's gotten big enough...
Your analogy is ill-conceived, Tracker. File permissions are changed using the chmod command line verb all the time under UNIX, regardless of disk state.  The utility compares the permissions states of key OS files and changes them to optimum states.  Yes, there might be a little more "voodoo" going on under the hood, but effectively, this is what is happening then.  For more information on what chmod is and what it dos, open your terminal and type:
 man chmod

Changing permissions is not ill-advised. This is not the Mac OS of old. Granted - the hard drive is not unmounted during this process, but poorly designed application installations *DO* change permissions on certain key files to states other than what Apple needs them to be for best sync with the OS.  Without those permissions being in the proper states, things like zip drive USB drivers do not load because the user no longer has permission to use them IAW the permission states on the USB driver.