[G4] Clicking noise

Kunga Kunga at FutureMedia.org
Sat May 24 14:11:18 PDT 2003

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10.2.6 Disk Utility
10.2.6 Disk Utility

10.2.6 Disk Utility is the software you are supposed to use to setup
ANY hard drive for OS X 10.2.6 etc. Nothing else. Nothing third party.
Nothing anyone else says is better.

You DO NOT setup your new WD FW drive in 9. That will lead to a lot of
problems and possible total loss of the hard drive. Forget about what
ever software they included. It is all bogus. I am in Santa Cruz by the
way. You in the valley? Or LA?

Be in 10.2.6 with the FW Drive connected and on. Launch "Disk Utility"
from your Applications-> Utilities Folder. You will see your new WD
show up on the left column showing all your drives. Highlight it and
click on the Erase Tab if you are not going to partition it OR the
Partition Tab if you are. Give it a name, and make sure it is set for
Mac OS Extended and checked (under the Name) to "Install Mac OS 9
Drivers" (no penalty and needed if you ever need to use 9) and press
Erase or set up your Partitions and press Partition. In a few seconds
your new WD drive will be ready for data.

BTW Fry's/Outpost.com has 200 GB 8MB buffer Maxtor 7200 RPM dries on
sale for only $161.44 after a $120 rebate and including plus sales tax.
They also sell FW boxes from Micropolis for only $80. So for $248 you
could have a 190GB (net) FW drive outside. Did you get that good a deal
buying the WD FW ready? I don't think so. You can save a lot of money
and get a lot more space if you follow my advice and take what you
bought back.

Here's the Outpost.com URL for the readers who don't live near a Fry's.
This deal is $10 more.

> <http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3492233> $120 rebate!!!!
>
> $269.99 After Rebate: $149.99 plus shipping and sales tax (if
> applicable). Go for it gang!!!

What is your model Mac again?

Kunga