[G4] DSL, NPC and Internet Problems

CJ Scaminaci halogenius at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 4 07:20:06 PDT 2003

Have no fear! It's not a virus. (Speaking of which...has anyone ever
seen a virus for OSX?) Your firewall is probably configured
incorrectly. I also have SBC Yahoo! DSL. Depending on the modem you got
with your package, (mine was the Speed Stream 5360) you have to open
certain ports on your machine. The modem they include is kind of a
mini-router. The modem gets an IP address from SBC and then it assigns
another IP to you. Check in your Network preferences, if you look at
the IP address and it says "Self Assigned" it means your modem couldn't
connect to your Mac. So your Mac for the sake of it, assigns it's own
IP address to itself. Try disabling your Norton firewall first to see
if that works. If it does then call up SBC and check which ports you
need to open on your firewall, they should be able to guide you through
it. If not, check your Network preferences tab once again, it should be
set to DCHP. If not, set it to use DCHP. SBC should be able to guide
you through everything necessary to set it up correctly.

Let me know how this works,
CJ