[G4] RAM Advisory

Mel mkrewall at mac.com
Fri Oct 17 17:37:30 PDT 2003

The best way to determine this is to open a terminal window after you
have been running your usual applications for a while. Run the top
command. Look for an item on the VM: line called pageouts. If the
pageouts number is small or zero, you have plenty of RAM to do what you
want to do. If pageouts is a large number (e.g. in a similar order of
magnitude to pagins) then you don't have enough RAM and swapping is
slowing you down. Keep adding RAM until your usual applications yield
no or very few pagouts. I have 768 MB with 10.2.8 and my top gives the
following:

MemRegions: num = 4410, resident =  172M + 12.1M private, 86.5M shared
PhysMem:  65.3M wired,  113M active,  435M inactive,  613M used,  155M
free
VM: 4.49G + 3.62M   11693(0) pageins, 12(0) pageouts

With 155M free and only 12 pageouts after two days of uptime, I
conclude that I have enough RAM. My initial guess based on your
description is that you could use some more, but let your machine tell
you.

Mel