[G4] Insomniac Sawtooth

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Tue Oct 21 07:02:58 PDT 2003

On 10/20/03 11:51 AM, "Tracker at aol.com" <Tracker at aol.com> wrote:

> Simply removing the card will not solve the problem. As long as the software
> is still residing on the hard drive, it will load during the start-up
> procedure and be active while the machine is running.
>
> Go to the Extensions folder of OS-9, find the drive for the card, and put it
> someplace other than the System folder. Do not trash it yet. Then, reboot the
> machine and try to use the "Sleep" command from the menu.

Thanks for your suggestion!

But now I really AM confused! If I understand the way Classic works, the
entire OS9 environment is a program that runs under OS X. This machine
always boots into OS X, and it uses Classic extraordinarily rarely. So I
don't think that the drivers in the OS 9 extensions folder are even seen by
the CPU unless Classic is running while the machine is trying to sleep.

I think I had to load something to make the card work in OS X (Adaptec SCSI
29160N for people who've lost their way in this thread), and it may be that
there are some files in OS X that I need to remove.

I guess I could test this by plugging the card into a machine that's never
seen it before and see if the card all by itself prevents sleep.

Jim Robertson