[G4] defraging a Mac

Shaene shaene at wirefire.com
Thu Apr 1 20:10:10 PST 2004

MicroMat's TechTool Pro can defrag, but you can go without a defrag and
be fine.  The Mac uses very advanced methods of disk reading and
writing to make sure that fragmentation is kept to a minimum.  Even if
things do get fragmented more than usual, you won't see much slowdown
due to the structure of HFS+ and Mac OS X's methods of working with
hard drives.  Honestly, I've not used a defrag utility in over a year,
and when I did, it was just to test the program, not because I needed
it.  I use my Macs quite often for large image editing and various
large multimedia projects, which result in a great amount of disk
writing, and still don't use a defrag because the system itself is
taking care of things for me.

If you do choose to try a defrag util, be careful.  Get a defrag util
that's known to do good work, make sure any critical data is backed up,
and don't allow the util to be abnormally stopped or you might be faced
with data loss or a seriously fragmented disk.

Best regards,
Shaene