[G4] learning to carbonize?

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Wed Apr 21 12:12:15 PDT 2004

On Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004, at 13:19 Canada/Eastern, Anand Keathley
wrote:

> [...] Although Microsoft does own Outlook, it is a free download to
> use on your computer.

The application containing the compiled code is free to download
(although you must agree to a EULA before using it, and that's a
legally binding contract specifying in what circumstances and to what
extent). But modifying compiled code is a (literally) superhuman task;
to "carbonize" it you need the source code. That one is most definitely
not free to download.

> Are you saying that legally a person is not allowed to add something
> to it to make it run properly?

What you can legally do with any piece of code depends upon the licence
under which it is distributed. Furthermore, "carbonizing" means -- as
I've already said -- re-writing the software, not just adding some bits
to it.

I don't mean any disrespect, but I have the impression that you're not
very familiar with programming. I'd suggest consulting an introductory
book on the subject from the public library before you start investing
your time in this.