No sound

zhmmy harper zhmmy at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 12:03:07 PDT 2004

G4 Yikes/100 gig HD/1 gig RAM

An electrician installing a new circuit apparently caused a ground loop.  I
play music through my stereo andI think a ground loop fed juice back through
my sound out (1/8" mini) apparently frying part of my logic board.  This is
an old house with 2-wire and he installed a 3-wire on the new circuit.

When I start up there is no startup chime.  Instead there is very loud
static.  The static continues until the startup bar starts, then quits.  The
rest of the startup is normal.  Nothing else seems to be affected other than
there is no sound.  Can't play music CDs or onboard mp3 and there are no
alert sounds.  CDs and DVDs open and play, but no sound.  Soundjam and
iTunes work as usual, but no sound.

Both OS 9.2.1 on a seperate drive and OS 10.3.3 are affected the same way.

I guess my question is:  If I use a PCI sound card will I have sound out
from the card, or do I have to replace the Logic board?  Also, could this be
something other than the logic board, such as something between the logic
board and the sound out mini-plug?

Zhmmy