[G4] Flicker on an older i-mac

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Tue Apr 27 07:43:25 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004, at 04:00 Canada/Eastern, Snow White wrote:

> Really, HIGHLY Not Recommended unless of course you know what you are
> doing in there.  These old CRT screens have enough juice in them to
> light you up badly - even unplugged.  They store enough power to kill
> or seriously hurt you.[...]

IMHO, a wild exageration. I'd say it's highly unlikely the capacitor
which provides the high voltage can store enough juice to kill a
reasonably healthy adult. Does this mean you should pull the anode wire
out and touch its tip with your tongue? Of course not. You should be
very careful when messing about a CRT. A casual touch will produce an
uncomfortable experience, definitely to be avoided, but it's not going
to kill you or maim you. I'd say messing about with a power outlet is
more dangerous in that respect.

> If you do dig inside - Get the Service Manual first.

Very sound advice. But whence?