[G4] Airport

Jim Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 28 19:15:39 PDT 2004

If you have one machine connected to ethernet (en0) you can enable
sharing on en1 (airport) but you also have to allow the computer with
en0 connected to create ad hoc networks (see Internet Connect panel
from the Airport widget in the menu bar).

If you do all this, you may be able to create an airport network
without the need for a base station...however you loose the ability to
do things like:

MAC address filtering (i.e., keeping people out of you network)
SSID publication (letting people know you have a network to provide)
DHCP (you need to assign static IPs to the Airport only machines or put
a DHCP server on the machine acting as "the firewall")
Firewall (for that matter you will need to activate a firewall.
Port Forwarding (the ability to forward ports coming in from the WAN
into you LAN)

Unless $200 is really a killer stretch, the base station is the way to
go for ease of use and administration...

jim