[G4] Tips for Buying a new Hard Drive

k s d ksd003 at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 17:42:23 PDT 2004

I've had a 20gb Seagate Baracuda for 5 years and it's been great..not a
problem. The stock 30gb IBM drive that came in my 450DP has worked
flawlessly, and I've heard only good things about IBM drives. I got a Maxtor
160gb drive last November and it's been great. In January I got a 160gb
Seagate drive from Best Buy for $80 (after rebates) and so far it's been
great (it's in my peecee). In the past I've seen a couple of Maxtor drives
fail (not my own), but I'm hoping that those were just run-of-the-mill bad
luck situations. I love Seagates, but someone else could probably tell you
horror story with them too. I know for a fact that I won't buy a
WesternDigital drive for a PC because of all of the hassle I've experienced
with them.. Special drivers and applications to format the drives. This may
not apply to you, because Macs are so much more forgiving.
If I were you, I'd keep an eye open for a decent sized drive. For my 450DP,
I needed to buy an ATA card for my 160gb drive and I went w/the Sonet Tempo,
but I needed another card for the 3rd drive anyway. I love the space.. have
my 9 partitiones  (3 each) and couldn't  be happier.
Look on the web and through www.xlr8yourmac.com if your looking for specific
info.
Others will weigh in, but I think that no matter what you go with it'll be
ok.. just like cars, there are lemon drives every so often. Luck of the
draw, I suppose. If you see a drive that catches your attention, do some
searches on the net and see what others are saying out it, and/or the
company that makes it and go from there.
-kevin