[G4] Mac Web Hosting

Robert A. Rosenberg hal9001 at panix.com
Tue Aug 3 12:25:10 PDT 2004

At 10:39 -0400 on 08/02/2004, John wrote about Re: [G4] Mac Web Hosting:

>I have used itsamac for several years and strongly recommend them.
>Dependable servers and good, quickly responsive support.
>as ever,
>John

I have dealt with them in the past and mostly agree with this
comment. Where I disagree is that they are overpriced ($100/year for
a basic account) and are not always responsive to user needs. For
example, they are running a downlevel version of MySQL (3.8.x) not
the current (at least 1 year old [?]) recommended 4.0.x nor offering
the development level 4.1.x. If you have need for the 4.0 or 4.1
features not in 3.8.x, you are out of luck since they do not have
plans to support them in the "foreseeable future".

If you need/want PHP/MySQL support for only $45/year (plus a domain
name for ~$10 or less) you might look into
http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/ which offers better support than
itsamac (which wants $250/year for the same level of hosting support).