[G4] New to iMac

Nathan Gable nagable at comcast.net
Wed Aug 11 21:40:23 PDT 2004

>	I just purchased a 500 Mhz iMac from a auction site.  I know
>this is probably the wrong list to post to, but I have never dealt
>with an iMac, so I haven't subscribed to their list.  I am hoping
>someone here has some experience with them and is willing to
>enlighten me.
>
>	The computer came with everything but a hard drive and is
>said to work.  I have a new Western Digital 40 GB IDE HD that I put
>in it.  When I installed it, I noticed the slot loading CD Drive
>didn't have a power cable and it looked like a 50 pin SCSI cable
>plugged in to it.  The next plug on the cable that attaches to the
>HD is IDE.  I have tried setting the jumpers on the HD to Master
>Single, Master w/Slave, Slave, and Cable Select.

Should be set to single, but I have seen some work with cable select.
the power is supplied through the single wide cable connection.

>I inserted a bootable OS 9 cd into it and started up with the "C"
>key held down.  I can't seem to get it to boot though.  Is there a
>secret to getting one of these things to work?

It may not boot with with anything but its system Restore or System
Install CD.  The later models have that problem.

Do you get a flashing ? icon when it doesn't boot?  If you don't, you
have problems other than the hard drive.

What color is it, and how do you know it's 500MHz?

You may want to try a CD head cleaner, too.  You're doing the right
thing holding down the "C" key, and the advice to zap the P-RAM is
good.

Nate
--
Birthdays are good for you; the more you have, the longer you live.