[G4] New to iMac

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Thu Aug 12 05:50:08 PDT 2004

On Aug 12, 2004, at 12:40 AM, Nathan Gable wrote:

> Should be set to single, but I have seen some work with cable select.
> the power is supplied through the single wide cable connection.

The hard drive should be set to single?  It is on the same cable as the
CD drive.
> It may not boot with with anything but its system Restore or System
> Install CD.  The later models have that problem.

I found a set of iMac DV install and restore disks that I am going to
try when they get here in the mail.

> Do you get a flashing ? icon when it doesn't boot?  If you don't, you
> have problems other than the hard drive.

Yes. It alternates between a smiling Mac and a folder with a question
mark.  When I try to boot off my OS 9 disk, it seems to pause on the
smiling Mac for a few seconds like it is reading the disk and trying to
boot from it. I know the CD drive is good, because when I insert the
Apple Hardware test disk that came with my G4, it says that the disk is
not for that computer.

> What color is it, and how do you know it's 500MHz?

It is a Blue Dalmation. On the bottom of it, there is a plaque that
gives it's description. 500Mhz, CD-RW, 128 MB Ram etc.
> You may want to try a CD head cleaner, too.  You're doing the right
> thing holding down the "C" key, and the advice to zap the P-RAM is
> good.

I replaced the PRAM battery and pushed the Cuda button and zapped the
PRAM.

Thanks--

Kevin