[G4] shut down?... It won't! eeeeeks

James Asherman jimash at optonline.net
Sat Dec 4 16:44:34 PST 2004

On Saturday, December 4, 2004, at 07:33  PM, r herman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just put a new hard drive in my G4 today. Reinstalled all my OSx and
> OS 9.
>
> Why won't the computer shut down right. Have I configured something
> wrong?

Hard to tell from here.
What kind of drive?
  Did you make sure the new drive (if a replacement) was set to master?
If this is a second drive have you selected it as the startup volume?
What model G4?
Are you using the shutdown command and answering yes to the final
requester?
Does it boot X or 9 from this new drive?
  Do other things work?  (I guess your email works)
Does it sleep?
Have you tried a Re-start?
Fixed permissions?
Done all the updates via web?
Does the drive show on the desktop as the top drive?
In short are you sure it is working otherwise?