[G4] help with swapping optical drive in a QS tower

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Wed Dec 8 12:52:28 PST 2004

On 8 Dec, 2004, at 11:52, Hal wrote:

I'm upgrading the optical drive in my G4 Quicksilver tower. Is there a
good online resource with instructions? I'm sure it's probably
dead-simple, but thought I'd check with the list before I break out the
screwdriver. Also, is the optical drive typically set to master or
slave?

Do you feel comfortable with taking a screwdriver to your Mac? Have you
ever removed the original drive? If not, go to xlr8yourmac.com to learn
how to remove and install drives.

It is a simple swap-out as long as you have a new drive that is Mac
compatible. That is important so you can maintain the ability to boot
from the drive using OS installation and/or utility program CDs such as
TechTool Pro or DiskWarrior.

I always check to make sure that the CD/DVD drive is set to master on
the bus that it is plugged in. That way, I avoid master/slave conflicts
with any other drive on the same bus. Other people don't use master for
the CD/DVD, so I guess it's a matter of personal choice. As long as you
identify the drives without duplication, you shouldn't have any
problem.

You will enjoy the upgrade after you accomplish it.