[G4] Wireless networking

Valerie Maples vlmaples at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 8 23:03:41 PST 2004

Not sure what its worth, but we have a mixed house on Bellsouth Home
Networking.  We have a 2 Wire 1700 Home Portal DSL modem with wireless
capability enabled and 3 Ethernet ports.  Our home network may have any
combination of the following machines running concurrently:

G5 Power PC (Ethernet)
Dell Dimension 8200 desktop (Ethernet)
 iBook (airport card)
HP desktop (USB wireless adapter ­ not Mac usable)
Dell Inspiron laptop (Belkin PCMIA wireless card)

We haven¹t wrinkled out all the file sharing and printer sharing, but am
told eventually everything that has two way drivers will be interchangeable.
All same platform machines can share files and printers and the 8200 can see
the G5, but not vice versa at this point.

We love it, despite the few remaining glitches.

Valerie Maples

Macintosh Dual 2 GHz Power PC G5
1 GB DDR SDRAM
160 GB HD
iListen 1.6.5
System OS X 10.3.6
Sennheiser e845s microphone

On 12/9/04 12:45 AM, "r herman" <ruherman at yahoo.com> wrote:

> hi,
>
> i have a question too? we have a pc and dsl cable for internet.
> what wireless would work so i can have the pc connected to the dsl and  my g4
> wireless? will the pc/mac situation work? my wife is the pc side and i the
> mac.... our   mixed marriage of mac vs pc needs something to make this work 4
> both of us. I hope someone has insight on this.
>
> thanks..
>
> Robb McDonald <jeepxj97 at durango.net> wrote:
>> Does anyone have any suggestions/compliments/complaints for a wireless
>> 802.11G PCI card and/or router for a Quicksilver?
>> I live in an apartment in an office building and have T1 access at home, so
speed is important.