[G4] Passwords

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Sat Dec 11 11:18:20 PST 2004

Nothing in the system remembers your old passwords. It would be a pretty
bad idea to do so. In fact, most parts of the system don't even know your
*current* password - it just knows how to recognize it when you type it.

If you want to put all your passwords into a "backup place," use the
keychain facility. It can actually keep many of your passwords online right
there (and Safari, Mail, etc. use them automatically). For strictly
"backup" use, you may want to create a separate keychain file, stuff all
your important secrets there, put the file on a USB disk or burn a CD-ROM
with it (or both), and put it in a safe place. It's also a good idea to
have a copy out of the house (leave it with a friend); remember that it's
quite safe as long as your friend doesn't know the password you put on that
keychain.

Naturally, you *don't* want to forget that password. Nobody can get it back
for you. But since you don't actually use it for anything but your backup
keychain, you don't have to change it a lot, and you can afford to make it
long and intuitively obvious (to you :-).

Cheers
  -- perry

--On Friday, December 10, 2004 8:47 PM -0800 "Dennis B. Swaney"