[G4] List newbie

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun Dec 12 15:22:13 PST 2004

On 12 Dec, 2004, at 11:35, Joel Threatt wrote:

Hi all. I am a relative new comer to the G4. I have 6 or 8 other macs,
68xxx mostly with a few 603 and 604e machines thrown in. But my G4 is a
quicksilver 2002 1gig dp, a gig of ram, lots of other stuff. My problem
is that it quit working. It went from fine and dandy with the Panther
10.3.6 upgrade to giving me a tone and a lighted screen but no drive
spin up. now it has no tone, a lighted screen and no drive spin up. The
fan in the PS is working as well as the processor fan and the red led
on the board is on but nuttin else. I have done extensive research and
troubleshooting in the apple knowledge base but they don't address this
problem. Any ideas??

Joel

Questions:
1: Was there a power outage in your home/office while the machine was
running?
2: Were you making changes to the machine/software when it quit working?
3: Did you shut down in the proper manner the last time you turned the
machine off?
4: Did it fail to start up from a shut-down state?
5: Have you tried to start up from a Mac OS CD?
6: Do you have a set of Mac OS CDs to use for a hardware check?
7: Have you tried to start up from a utility program CD like TechTool
Pro?
8: Did you make any changes to the machine or the OS immediately before
the machine quit working?
9: Did you trash and delete anything before shutting down and then have
this problem?

Suggestions:
1: A power outage during operation could have put paid to your hard
drive. You might need to consider that you will have to replace it and
do a re-install of your software.
2: You may have accidentally deleted a critical piece of software or
shorted something out.
3: An improper shut-down may have corrupted your software to the point
that it is no longer functional.
4: You did not indicate whether the machine gave you the problem when
you attempted to boot, attempted to reboot after a software
installation, or whether you had done a firmware update before
installing OS 10.3.6.
5: Always try to boot from the factory CD and run Disk Utility to
verify the drive when the system software does not boot the computer.
6: Always, Always, Always keep the factory OS installation CDs/DVD
handy for trouble-shooting.
7: See suggestion #6 above.
8: Self-explanatory.
9: Also self-explanatory.