[G4] Sawtooth Upgrades?

Thomas Martin nhzlv at pensys.com
Mon Dec 27 13:41:04 PST 2004

I am new to the list.  Merry Christmas too you all!  Santa (aka, my IT
was kind enough this year to drop on the doorstep a G4/450 Sawtooth
w/768MB ram, 27GB HD, ZIP and DVD-ROM.  I added an unused 64MB from my
B&W G3 (which has all slots filled), hey, it was there....

It runs nicely with a fresh install of Panther, but what sort of low
cost processor or other worthy upgrades are worth the $$?

I have an 27GB HD, a new 80GB HD, my old SCSI 160 18GB HD (has my old
OS9 stuff on it, which needs a SCSI160 controller, I have just a SCSI2
controller now).

What OEM processors can work in a Sawtooth?  What is the max speed with
OEM processors can this machine support?  I have seen some comments on
having L3 cache, is there any OEM processors that this machine can use
that have L3?

I checked, it has a Uni-N of 3, so it looks like going duals isn't an
option :(

Thanks!
Thomas Martin