[G4] Mac G4 Lost Password

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Dec 30 13:08:23 PST 2004

On 30 Dec, 2004, at 12:53, Keith Whaley wrote:

David DelMonte wrote:

> not quite true. It will ask you to authenticate with the old pw before
> you can change it.

You're absolutely right! I just checked it out, and without the old
password, you're sunk!
I don't have an answer to your dilemma!

keith whaley

The most accurate note so far (in my experience and knowledge, which
may not be fully complete yet) has been Alastair's. If the password in
question is simply the Admin User's password, booting to the OS
installation CD by holding down the "C" key at startup and selecting
"Change Password" from the menu and then inserting a new password will
indeed correct the problem and allow a new user to create a totally new
password for use from then on.

However, if the password is there because the previous user activated
FileVault through the "Security" option in the Account preferences, you
are hosed to the max. Unless you can get the password from the previous
user, you WILL NOT be able to break the security and will HAVE TO ERASE
the drive and re-install the OS by starting the computer from the
installation CD.

Sorry for the bad news, but it happens to the best of us at times.