[G4] OS X SMP

Brian Silverio bsilverio at necc.mass.edu
Mon Feb 9 11:52:54 PST 2004

Quoting Alex <alist at sprint.ca>:

> So now we come to System X. It is not SMP, ......

Alex,
I have enjoyed reading your posts. So far as my knowledge of SMP and MPP goes
you are indeed correct.  (I have worked with these puppies for thirty years)

However, It may be that the confusion here is because the VT machine is a
Massively Parallel Processing cluster of Symetric Multi Processor machines.

That is a subtle distinction in terminology.  It may be too subtle for some of
us.

I really thought NUMA was going to be the answer to scaling problems.  It seems
to be dead now.  EMC outright killed the Data General systems and IBM does not
seem to be continuing the Sequent systems.

Brian Silverio

P.S. And so far are the complaints about this thread going off the subject:  Yes
it has.  But it is educational and enjoyable.  So why not let it continue?