[G4] General OS Craziness w/Two machines

Joe Ellis jellis at gdeb.com
Wed Feb 11 06:07:21 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anne Keller-Smith" <earthpigz at earthlink.net>
To: "Power Macintosh G4 List" <G4 at lists.themacintoshguy.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 8:29 AM
Subject: [G4] General OS Craziness w/Two machines

> Hi -
>
> I have two machines. With my finances, they'll prolly always be
> two years apart. And, unless I can somehow find more time for
> system maintenance, likely always an OS or two apart.
>
> For ex., if I buy a new laptop next year, it'll prolly have OS10.3
> whereas the desktop has OS10.2. Which means divers small things
> won't work between them.
>
> Was thinking if I buy a new laptop I should erase 10.3 and install
> 10.2 and then make sure the two always move in tandem. But that
> seems, well, crazy too.
>
> And I would tend to not upgrade a machine that is working really
> well - unless I am getting behind or can't run a new program.
>
> A pain.
>
> What do you all do?
>
> Anne Keller Smith
> Down to Earth Web Design
> G4 733mHz (OS X.2/Classic) | Graphite iBook 333mHz (OS 9.0.2)

I also have two machines and because one is a laptop and the other is a
desktop; I'm of the opinion that if I have the latest OS on one that it's OK
to install it on the other. Micro$oft and Adobe both provide for this in
their licenses for Office, VPC and the Adobe products. As long as I'm not
using both machines at the same time; it's no different than if one had the
latest and the other was a version behind and I swapped them when I changed
the machine I'm using. I do PAY for the software I use, but I don't feel I
should have to pay TWICE for a product I use on an indivudual basis. Besides
that if it comes right down to it; it would be perfectly legal for me to
install my paid copy of Panther on a Firewire drive and use it to boot
whatever machine I happen to be using at the time.

Joe Ellis
Canterbury, CT
G4 867 Quicksilver DP | Upgraded G4 500 Pismo (OS 10.3.2)