Is the HP PSC 2510 a Good All-In-One?

Jim Thornton jimthornton at mac.com
Sun Jul 4 21:20:17 PDT 2004

Hello,

This is my first time posting, although I've read this list for about a year
and learned a lot.

I have a Quicksilver 733 with 1.12 GB of RAM, running OS X 10.3.4. I
presently use an Epson Stylus Color 880 inkjet printer, an Epson Perfection
1660 Photo scanner, and a Brother HL-1470N laser printer; these are USB 1.1,
USB 2.0, and Ethernet, respectively. I have an Ethernet network in place
connecting my Mac, a little-used PC, the laser printer, and (soon!) a new
iBook.

The inkjet prints photos with variable quality, the scanner does a good job,
and the laser printer is fine. If I want to "copy" something, it's tedious
and a chore. I have need from time to time to send and receive faxes (but I
can't get Panther's fax capability to work for me). All this equipment takes
up a lot of space.

With rebates, etc, I can get a good deal on an HP PSC 2510 Photosmart
All-In-One (AIO) that is a combination inkjet printer, flatbed scanner,
copier, and fax. The 2510 has USB, Ethernet, and 802.11b interfaces; the
model 2410 is the same except it lacks the Ethernet and 802.11b interfaces.
I don't need the wireless capability at present, but I very much want to
network such a device via Ethernet. If I buy the 2510 or any AIO, I'd sell
my Epson scanner and inkjet devices.

However, the 2510 and 2410 reviews I've read are mixed; capabilities and
performance seem (mostly) good/excellent, but computer interface issues have
been reported by some.

Do any of you have experience/advice on the 2510 or 2410? Connection issues?
Ease of use? Photo print quality? General print quality? Ink consumption?
Use of off-brand ink? Scan quality? Copy quality/ease? Fax receive/send
ease? Software bundle?

Thanks for your help,

Jim