[G4] Folder names shortened - unexplained

Dale Hoffman dhoff at margnat.com
Mon Jul 5 12:49:03 PDT 2004

>I just installed OSX 10.2.8 on a computer which has Firewire drives
>attached. While booting from OS9, the names of folders on the drives
>are as they should be. When booting from OSX, some of the folder
>names are shortened. What could be causing this?
>DaleH

I should add further observations:

The folder names can be long or short (one folder 24 characters, another 13).

"Get Info" on folder shows full length name in "Name & Extension".

Drives verified OK with Disk Utility.

Effected folders begin with letters "Rec".

Searching by full name with Sherlock successfully finds folders with
shortened name.

I searched Apple Support and found only mention of incident where
very long names present a problem.