How can I share keybaord & mouse between USB & ADB Macs?

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 27 20:20:10 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, July 27, 2004, at 08:53 AM, Power Macintosh G4 List wrote:

> How can I share keybaord & mouse between USB & ADB Macs?
>
> I have a spiffy new G4 - well, new to me.  It's a 733
> MHz Quicksilver, loaded with Panther, and
> unfortunately, running a lot of OS 9.2.2 stuff still.
> The budget has to recover.
> the upgrade cost for Photoshop, ...
Best way to get Photoshop inexpensively is on the LEM list or ebay.
Many times I have seen older Adobe Graphic Box Set (Acrobat, Photoshop,
Illustrator and Indesign) sell cheap - under $100.  That whole suite
can be upgraded as needed to OSX versions.  But in Photoshop be sure to
get version 4 or higher, as the new upgrade recognize it without
requiring to install the old version.  If you run your current version
on your G4 it works.  This upgrade can wait until it annoys you to work
in Classic.

> I still have my old Mac, a PPC 604e/250MHz,
> running OS9.  Because it
> has SCSI, it's my only machine that can use my
> scanner.

SCSI is kind of dead in the consumer scanner area - no drivers, but
Adaptec PCI Cards still work (some) and you can drive the scanner with
VueScan.  I found a new USB scanner a much better deal - cheaper and
better resolution.  Epson is very good,  but they need a powerbar to
cut power (always on).  This is worth the money if you want away from
the old 604.  New scanners tend to be smaller and lighter.

> The old machine has sound
> input, and the new one seems to have forgotten that
> Macs are good for AV and I do a lot of LP transfers.

Here, I must reccomend a great device Grifin Imic.  Audio in/out mini
plugs to USB.  And Final Vinyl in a good LP (or any) recording program
that is free and works as long as an Imic is plugged in - somewhere.  I
have a CUBE and this is the best solution for many.  Again another big
cut away from the 604.

These solutions all cost money but a new scanner and the Imic are cheap
and shouldn't hold you back.  They also allow  you to retire that old
604 to your favorite charity or school (get the receipt).  Photoshop,
legally obtained, is difficult to find cheap.  Probably cost $200 or so
for a used version and the upgrade.  You may find Photoshop 7 (OSX) is
cheaper now that CS is out.  7 is pretty good.