[G4] Liquid Cooled new g5 2.5 ghz

Steven steven at sifre.nl
Wed Jun 9 17:20:13 PDT 2004

Bruce Pillman wrote:

> We're really talking about three heat exchangers running at the same
> time. Two heat exchangers are from the chips to the fluid, the other is
> from the fluid to the air. I know that's stating the obvious, but the
> key is: how much temperature differential there is between the two
> processors depends (among other things) on the rate of the fluid flow.
> If they move the fluid really fast, then the two processors are at
> nearly the same temperature. If the fluid moves as slow as a lava lamp,
> then the 2nd processor toasts up :)

It seems to me the fluid will always have a higher temperature when it
passes the second processor compared to when it passes the first. And
since it runs at the same speed at both processors I 'd say the second
processor gets less cooling. When the fluid moves faster the difference
indeed gets smaller. That could indeed explain the design. Which makes
me wonder, how is the flow established? Is there a pump of some kind?

Steven