[G4] How to eject bad CD

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Mon Mar 8 06:04:02 PST 2004

> On Monday, Mar 8, 2004, at 00:54 Canada/Eastern, David Crandon wrote:
>
> On Mar 7, 2004, at 8:22 PM, Ron Michael wrote:
>
>> I've got a G4 1.25 mirror door. I've got an apparent bad CD stuck in
>> the top
>> drive. The old Macs had a tiny hole that allowed you to use a paper
>> clip to
>> manually eject. Any ideas what I can do with this new problem?
>
> Trying holding down the mouse button while rebooting.

This is the traditional Mac command to eject a removable device when
booting, and it should work, unless there's a mechanical or electrical
problem with the unit. If it doesn't, you can still try for force-eject
manually. The Mac drive door is held in place by a spring in the lower
hinge. Open it with your nail (or some sharp object). Drives actually
vary, but it's likely yours still has the manual eject hole and you'll
see it when the door is opened. (Don't confuse it with the empty holes
for the activity LED and the eject button.) Keep the door open with one
hand (or tape it down) and use your other hand to insert the paper clip
and force open the tray. It's probably best to do this when the Mac is
shut down.