[G4] Fix for Image Spam?

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Thu Mar 25 06:23:57 PST 2004

On Thursday, Mar 25, 2004, at 00:01 Canada/Eastern, Anne Keller-Smith
wrote:

> [...]
>> You don't say which OS. You don't say which e-mail client, or what
>> kind
>> of e-mail account.[...]
>
> As it says in my sig - X.2

Didn't it say 9.0.2?

> I'm using an old Eudora [...]

Not trying to be picky, Anne, but I think you might get better -- and
more timely -- suggestions if you provided all relevant details. Which
OS version? Which Eudora version? What type of e-mail account?
Different versions of the OS or the application may (usually do) have
different capabilities, compatibilities -- and bugs. Also, e-mail
clients usually have different options for the two basic types of
account -- POP and IMAP.

As I recall (I'm a Mail.app user), by default Eudora downloads
attachments to its own Attachments folder, a setting which may be
changed in the prefs. This may or may not be relevant to the particular
version you're using.

> [...] I imagine if I were to turn off html mail in Apple's Mail,
> it would come to the same thing. The images would download
> separately, and show up on the desktop.

I'm afraid you get no cigar this time.

> [...] it would seem that any of us on this list (which does not allow
> html mail) would experience the same problem, regardless
> of which email client they were using.

It appears to me you are somewhat confused regarding attachments.
Images in HTML-formatted e-mail are not attachments, because they are
not contained in the message. What the message contains is links to
images. When HTML is rendered, the e-mail client downloads the images
from the source indicated by the link. If HTML rendering is turned off,
the image is not downloaded (cf. Apple KB article ID 107401).