[G4] Swapping a DVD drive between Mac and PC

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sun May 2 11:08:23 PDT 2004

The later versions of Windoze can recognize new devices such as DVD/CD
burners, scanners, and cameras, but not always and not all devices. It
depends on the version you have on your PC, it is a "maybe" situation.

You should plug in your device and start your PC. If it recognizes the
burner, and you have already got burning software installed, you might
be in luck and have a working combination. If the PC can see the
device, but not mount it, then you have to search for the driver
software.

The next thing you need to do is visit the LaCie web site to find the
appropriate DVD/CD RW software driver for your PC. Find out if LaCie
has already developed the software to operate your burner with a PC,
download and install it, then plug and pray.

I am doing just that with a Gateway 2000 laptop running Windoze 98SE.
It sees the Pioneer DR105, but won't mount it, and Nero isn't helping
either. Pioneer's web site is darn confusing and I haven't located the
right driver software yet, but I'm still trying. The only reason I have
the PC laptop is, like you, I have a digital camera that uses USB and
my old Mac laptop (a 1400 model upgraded to a G3) didn't have USB
sockets and I got the Gateway for free through my work.

I finally upgraded to a Lombard laptop with USB, but wanted to see if
my external FireWire/USB DVD/CD burner would work with the Gateway. So
far, it has been another experience of prolonged frustration just like
the first PC that I had 5 years ago. It seems that nothing really
changes with PCs except for the technological level of the frustration.