[G4] SATA vs. ATA (was posting,please?)

Jim Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Tue May 4 21:51:53 PDT 2004

As for the upgrading...the SATA controller is $75 so it is cheap - if
you have an older machine you are stretching out a bit, buying 250Gb
parallel ATA drives is probably not a great investment if you think
there might be a G5 somewhere in your future.

It depends on how long you want to keep the older machine around.

In terms of cost, a SATA drive isn't much more than a parallel ATA
drive costs.  I picked up a 200Gb for 150.  A parallel WD drive on
pricewatch is about $114.

My G4 is doing fine but either way to add drives I was looking at a PCI
card, so I went with SATA v. parallel.

It is all up to your personal situation.

Jim