[G4] Re: Big DIMMs

Ralph Garrett ralphbones at kc.rr.com
Mon Nov 15 22:32:39 PST 2004

On Nov 15, 2004, at 23:54, Steven Wood wrote:

> A few things:
> 1. The statement "The RAM limit for any computer is the amount the CPU
> can address, so
> your system cannot use more than 1.5 GB no matter how much you
> install." actually is completely true.

Well, no, it's not true. The G4 processor is actually capable of
addressing 2 GB of memory. The limiting factor in this case is the
number of DIMM slots available and the memory controller ASIC. Apple
listed the max memory for the original Sawtooth as 1 GB but later
released Firmware Update 2.4 that allowed a max of 2 GB with OS X and a
max of 1.5 GB in OS 9 (A limitation of OS 9). Will Apple release a
Firmware Update to allow utilization of 1 GB DIMMs? Who knows? But I
wouldn't count on it.

Ralph