[G4] Putting an ATA HD in Zip drive bay?

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Oct 15 20:51:56 PDT 2004

On Oct 15, 2004, at 7:49 PM, john wrote:

The manual for my AGP Graphics G4 says not to put more than 3 hard
drives in the lower drive bays. Presumably from power consumption
considerations...is this a hard and fast rule?

Related question: Is it possible to put a hard drive in the Zip drive
bay (lower bay of optical drive carrier)?

I have four drives installed in my G4 Gbit Ethernet using a Sonnet
Tempo ATA-133 controller card with the extra ribbon kit. I had to put
in a Y-adaptor power cord to get the needed fourth power plug, but they
all are running without any problem.

As long as you have one of the "piggy-back double drive" mounting
sleds, you can use it in the rear-most position and put the other
drives in the middle and front-most positions. Don't forget to get the
extra ribbon kit with the card to be able to hook up all the drives.

HTH,
Ron