[G4] Re: Wake from Sleep Problems with USB 2.0 PCI Card

Nat nbaker at discover-net.net
Thu Oct 28 06:18:31 PDT 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 7:33 AM, Richard M. Kriss wrote:

> My system is like yours with two exceptions CPU 2.7 vs. 2.8? and I
> have more
> memory and the newer firmware.  I gave up on Apple's lame sleep thing
> a long
> time ago. I don't think it has anything to do with the USB PCI card.
> I had
> a two port Keyspan 1.0 card that was replaced by an newer Belkin 5
> port 2.0
> PCI card. You can remove the PCI card you will still have the wake from
> sleep issue. My advice is to not use the Apple menu "Sleep" command.
> It puts
> the G4 in a comma and the only way you can wake it is by doing a
> restart.

I have the same problem with a G4 867 MHz.  I installed a FW/USB combo
card and sleep actually worked better for a while because I plugged my
keyboard and mouse into the new ports and my computer wouldn't wake up
every few minutes like it was.

Everything worked fine until one day when I installed a few Norton
products.  Immediately afterward, I had the sleep problem where the
monitor goes off and hard drives spin down but the fan keeps going and
I can't wake up the computer.  I uninstalled the Norton products but it
didn't help.  I don't know if it triggered the problem but it was
minutes after that the problem started.

Anyway, I was just going to try to take out that card and see if it
helped kick the sleep back to working and reinstall it.  I know it
worked at one time.