[G4] Sonnet Encore install

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Mon Sep 27 11:20:42 PDT 2004

On Sep 26, 2004, at 3:15 PM, Paul Moortgat wrote:

>> I am not sure exactly why you are saying that the normal way is to
>> reset the CUDA when I could not find any reference to having to do
>> that in any of the literature that came with either my 800MHz or my
>> 1GHz Sonnet upgrades.
>>
>> What is the reason for doing that, if any?
>>
>> Everything that I have read indicates to me that resetting the CUDA
>> is a "last ditch effort" to correct some problem that you cannot
>> resolve by zapping the PRAM or rebuilding the desktop file.

Just to let you know, I didn't reset the Cuda after install.  It worked
fine until I tried to play "Max Payne" .  The game would crash every
time I started it.  I shut down, reset the Cuda fired it up and tried
again.  Worked fine then.

However, I did run my Mac all day and late in to the night right after
installing the Sonnet.  The whole system did lock up after about 12
hours of use.  I tried to launch Safari. It bounced, then stopped, then
nothing else would respond.  The mouse moved, but I was unable to
launch anything else or do a force quit on any of the open apps.  Don't
know if it was heat build up or what.  My power has been out since
Saturday night from the Hurricane.  It just came on this afternoon, so
I am going to see how it runs now.

Thanks--

Kevin