[G4] Best use for the 2nd HD

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Tue Apr 12 16:41:17 PDT 2005

Yes, do it not now, but yesterday, before disaster.

There are lots of options available, depending on how you use your
computer.  I was a big fan of lots of partitions on my two drives in
the bad old days of OS 8 and OS 9.  Now with OS X, I have everything
that I can possibly want to work with on my Main Drive with no
partitions there.  The idea is to let OS X manage the allocation of
space, clean up the fragmention, and otherwise manage the file
integrity as it is designed to do.  I understand that OS X will not
manage files on secondary drive that same way.

My OS 9.2.2 for Classic and for occasional startup is happy with that.
All my old OS 9 applications and documents are happy there, and
everything I do with OS X is happy to.  One thing, I had to move my old
documents into my new home folder.  Just dragged them over.

My second drive has three partitions.  One for backing up my Home
Folder, that automatically includes the e-mail.  One for Photoshop
scratch space.  One for OS X Emergency startup and testing.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.