[G4] Help! Removing Original Hard Drive from Sawtooth

Philip J Robar philip.robar at myrealbox.com
Thu Apr 14 12:09:52 PDT 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, at 11:16 AM, shopdog wrote:

> I discovered that the 20GB drive was not secured to the bracket by
> screws, but yet would not budge when I tried to remove it.  I
> didn't want to pull on it too much.  Is it held in place by
> adhesive, another screw, or is it just a little tight?  Please
> advise me as to whether I can just pull harder to get the drive
> out, or if there's something else I should do.

I have a Sawtooth. The bottom drive is screwed to the drive tray from
the bottom. To change it you need to pull the IDE cable, you'll then
see a single screw that secures the tray to the case. Remove that
screw and the tray and drive will slide out.

> Secondly, the new drive does not have jumpers that are accessible.
> The area where the jumpers appear on my other 120GB drive (between
> the power cable connector and the ribbon cable connector) is
> covered on the new 120GB drive.  Does the drive not need jumpers,
> or do I need to open it up to access them?

Didn't you get documentation with the drive? If not, check the
manufacturer's web site.

Phil