[G4] RAID on MDD was Large 2nd hard drive

Johns Maillist mymaillist at mac.com
Sat Apr 23 20:57:08 PDT 2005

On Apr 23, 2005, at 11:21 PM, Carol wrote:

> Johns Maillist wrote:
>

>> Carol, it is just my opinion, but I added a pair of serial ATA 250's
>> to mine in a RAID (stripe) array.
>> I am VERY happy with the video editing performance!
>> Even if you just add one drive, I truly believe a serial ATA drive
>> does give better performance than a standard IDE drive.
>> John
>>
> Can you provide details?
>
> If you added them, I guess serial ATA drives work in models that
> predate the G5.  The manual says I have room for 4 ATA drives.  Ultra
> ATA/100 (in rear drive only) and two additional Ultra ATA drives in
> the front bay.
>
> I don't understand whether it means that the only type of drive you
> can put it the rear bay is an Ultra ATA/100 or if it means that the
> only bay you can use for an Ultra ATA/100 is the rear bay.
>
> I also don't know the difference between an ATA/66 and an ATA/100.
>
> Which bays did you use for the RAID array?
>
> I know what a RAID array is, but I would not have a clue about how to
> set one up.  Striped refers to making two disks function like one
> larger disk, isn't it?
>
> --
> Carol

Setting it up is easy.
All I did was put the Serial ATA card in a PCI slot. Most cards allow
two internal drives (OR you could choose two external drives, but have
to buy a case for them).
I installed the pair of drives into the drive bays under the DVD/CD
bays.
I left the original 80 GB in the stock bay, since I did not want to
even mess with the ATA drives anymore. I only use the original 80 GB
for back up storage of my OS.
Once you install the drives (and card) and boot up, just run Disk
Utility, choose to set up RAID, choose STRIPE and let 'er rip.
STRIPE combines the two drives as one, and writes half the data write
to one, and half to the other, but since it is essentially writing at
the same time, it takes less total time to complete a write.
ATA 66 vs 100 has to do with the speed of the data path.
Hope this helps,
Good luck,
John