[G4] Fax modem in G4 1.42DP

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Fri Apr 29 20:35:25 PDT 2005

On Apr 29, 2005, at 17:42, Jean-Luc Brousseau wrote:

> I have a G4 dual processor 12.42 MHz.

Hm, never heard of that one. Must be a very slow machine... (just
joking).

> How can I tell the computer to answer only to the ring dedicated for
> the fax?

If you're using Panther, you want to enable distinctive ring switching.
Essentially, you need to add -SDR parameter to the initialization
string. Check this Macworld article for instructions:

<http://www.macworld.com/2004/03/features/panthersecretsdeclassified/>

> I have heard some years ago of a device called "ring decoder".

I believe it's called a distinctive ring switch. Bell used to sell them
for something like CAD 50 -- I'm not sure if they still do. If they do,
I'd use it instead of Panther's software capability -- IMHO, it's more
reliable.

<0x0192>