[G4] second drives questions...

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Tue Aug 9 12:37:51 PDT 2005

On 9 Aug, 2005, at 10:57, Richard ramsowr wrote:

Q - Can I now delete the iTunes folder and the iPhoto
folder from my start up  drive (40GB) and boot up
ITunes and iPhoto from the second drive (60GB)?

No, you cannot boot from the second drive unless you have a System
folder installed on it. You can use the second drive as a storage
location for your iTunes and iPhoto files but you may have to do a
"search and locate" by dialogue windows when you start those programs.

Both of those programs put their files in a "default" location and look
for the data in that location. If you move the files, they cannot be
found at the "default" and the programs then ask you to "locate" the
files at program startup. You would have to navigate through your drive
to locate the files and then tell the program that that is the new
location to be used as "default" from then on.

If you move the files again, you would have to go through all that
"location" process over again.

Another item to consider:

If you "boot up iTunes and iPhoto from the second drive" by double
clicking on a file located on the second drive, you may be able to
start the program just as you would if the files had never been moved.
I have never tried that exact procedure, booting a program from a
second drive, so I won't say it can or cannot be done but strange
things have occurred in the past and will continue to happen whenever
they can.