[G4] AppleTalk - What for now?

Carlos carlos3543 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 18 07:33:00 PDT 2005

On Aug 17, 2005, at 10:30 PM, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:

> At 12:37 PM -0600 8/17/05, Doug McNutt wrote:
>> At 20:40 -0700 8/16/05, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:
>>> So who is correct? In order to connect my Rev B iMac running 9.2 and
>>> my G4 iMac running OS X, I have to have Appletalk active on both.
>>> According to John, it can be done, but according to Doug it can't!
>>
>> Your OS 9 box does not need to communicate via AppleTalk.
>>
>> File Sharing control panel. Enable file sharing over TCP/IP. I think
>> connecting to the OS 10 box will choose IP automatically as you
>> attempt a connection.
>

> Unfortunately, I still run into the problem that I can only have 1 IP
> address. If I use the IP address for file sharing, then I can't
> connect to the internet from the Rev B and vice versa. I don't know if
> this limitation is in OS 9, or a hardware limitation.
>
> I would also LIKE to connect to my AirPort network for the capability
> of connecting to the internet via my WiMax connection. Remember, this
> G3 iMac does NOT have a Airport card slot (unless someone has made one
> that can connect to the Mezzanine Slot) This connection would also
> replace the cat5 crossover cable currently between the two iMacs

You don't need to connect to the internet via modem with the iMac. Your
iMac G4 will have TWO IP address, one for the Airport and one for the
built-in Ethernet. Sounds like the Wireless IP address is automatically
assigned, which is fine. The built-in Ethernet has its own IP address
which you can assign manually to something like 192.168.1.2. Then on
the iMac G3, set the IP address to its Ethernet to something like
192.168.1.3. With the G3 iMac connected to the G4 iMac's built-in
Ethernet, you can share the WiMax connection thus:

System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet

Then enable sharing of your Airport connection to computers connected
to the built-in ethernet.

Should work fine, I've done it myself successfully.

Carlos