[G4] Router definition and Ethernet Broadband question.

Philip J Robar pjrobar at areyoureallythatstupid.org
Tue Dec 13 09:28:25 PST 2005

On Dec 13, 2005, at 7:18 AM, Alex Hurst wrote:

> Tony wrote in part:
>
>> Its all beside the point, a router can be a good thing in
>> protecting oneself
>> from the evils of the internet.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but is a router the same thing as a hub?
>
> [snip]

No. Keeping things simple. A hub connections several wires together
to form a network. Packets are distributed to all ports on the hub
regardless of which port the machine the packets are actually
addressed to is actually hooked up to. Unmanaged switches are like
hubs except they only send data out the port that the machine they
are addressed to is hooked up to. This reduces the amount of traffic
on any given segment of the network, which allows for higher
performance. Even simple unmanaged switches used to be much more
expensive than hubs. Although it's unlikely to make any difference on
a home network unmanaged switches are now so inexpensive that it
doesn't make any sense to buy a hub.

The addresses that switches use to direct data to the correct port
are associated with the physical network connection on each machine.
They are called ethernet or more properly MAC (media access control)
addresses. These address are what ultimately provide each computer
with a unique identity on a network.

Routers on the other hand are used to direct packets between
networks, e.g. between your home network and the Internet (or more
specifically your ISP's network), using higher level IP (internet
protocol) addresses. IP addresses are explicitly not permanently tied
to a specific computer so that the computer associated with that
address can be changed without others having to being aware of the
change.

Home routers commonly include a small switch,  know how to talk to a
cable or DSL modem, and also provide NAT (network address
translation) and DHCP (dynamic host configuration Protocol) services.
NAT allows all the machines on a network to share the, usually,
single public address that an ISP assigns to a customer. In addition
NAT, combined with the use of private IP address, protects your local
network in a couple of ways. Private addresses are a range of IP
address that everyone has formally agreed not to route over the
public Internet. This means that information traveling from one
computer to another on your local network can not leak out of your
network. Secondly, since the private addresses are only visible to
your network, no one outside of your network knows about or can
access your computers unless you specifically set up a relation
between your public address, a specific service, and a machine on
your local network.

DHCP is a convenience that centralizes the assignment of network
personalities to computers on a network rather than having to
individually configure each machine. Basically with DHCP when a
computer wakes up it asks the network "who am I" and the DHCP server
responds with the information needed for the computer to configure
it's network presence.

> As I have a Netgear Ethernet hub which links my G4 to two G3 Macs
> with no problem, am I right in assuming that I just plug the
> broadband modem connection into any free socket?

No. While you could make this arrangement work by adding a second
network interface to one of your computers and setting up internet
connection sharing, home routers are now so inexpensive that it's far
more trouble than it's worth. You should get a home router as
described above. Home routers are cheap, you can get one for $0 to a
few $10's of dollars depending on how hard you look and how you feel
about rebates.

Also, while many vendors advertise their NAT feature as a firewall,
and NAT does indeed provide all the protection that most people need,
I'd advise that you get a router that provides an SPI (statefull
packet inspection) firewall. SPI used to be found only in expensive
firewall products, but it is now quite common even in inexpensive
home routers.

You might also consider getting a wireless router in anticipation of
future needs, especially since they can often be purchased for the
same price as a non-wireless router.

Another router feature that is poised to become important is QOS
(quality of service) which allows a router to prioritize the flow of
time sensitive information such as VOIP (voice, i.e. telephone, over
IP), streaming video and audio, and gaming.

  I recently purchased a wireless router with all of the features
mentioned above and more for $30.

>  I seem to remember the hub has one socket that's slightly
> different from the others in function, but it didn't come with an
> instruction book.

That port is used to hook up one hub/switch to another with out the
use of a special cable so as to be able to expand the size of your
network.

Phil
--
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do
because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." --