[G4] Memory Mixing Problems (pc100 & pc133)

Jonathan I. Nori JIN at destinyimage.com
Wed Jan 5 12:09:36 PST 2005

On my DP G4 533 I have two 512's and a 128mb.

I have to have the 512's in the first two slots, and the 128 last. I have to have the memory in same-to-decreasing size otherwise my machine fails on startup.

Try putting your larger memory in the first slot, and the smaller memory in the other slots.

The pc133 *should* be able to coexist with the pc100, but it will run at pc100 speeds. (At least this is how it works in the PC world...I haven't tried mixing other speeds on my Mac, just sizes.)

Hope this helps...

Jon  8^)

>>> 2AzBoys at cox.net 01/05/05 02:01PM >>>
Hello everyone,

I am trying to add additional memory to my G4 450 AGP. I have 3 128mb
pc100 chips installed and am trying to add a 512mb pc133. I placed the
new 512 in the 4th slot (DIMM3/J24) when I tried it. System ran fine
for about 2 hours after installation, then programs began to crash at
random. After a restart, the entire system started locking up and I had
to use the reset button each time to restart. I finally pulled the
chip, repaired permissions and now everything is fine once again.

I looked on the G4 forum and several other people have mixed memory
(both pc100 and pc133) and they work great. Apple web site says to use
only pc100 on a G4 450 AGP, but other web sites say its ok to use
pc133. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Here is my G4's info:

   System Version:		Mac OS X 10.3.7 (7S215)
   Kernel Version:		Darwin 7.7.0
   Machine Model:		Power Mac G4 (AGP graphics)
   CPU Type:			PowerPC G4  (2.8)
   Number Of CPUs:		1
   CPU Speed:			450 MHz
   L2 Cache (per CPU):		1 MB