[G4] [OT] wrong Java version running???

Jay Snoke snokejs at npt.nuwc.navy.mil
Fri Jul 1 13:10:11 PDT 2005

Alex, et al-
I am trying to take some on-line training that requires Java version
1.4.2 (verified with a tech-assist phone call) and appears to be
written for Windows systems.  Each and ever time I access the server
with any browser I have (Safari, firefox, IE, Netscape), a java console
pops up in the background with the following data on it:

Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.3.1
Using JRE version 1.3.1 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = /Users/jaysnoke
no proxy

c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
l:   dump classloader list
m:   print memory usage
q:   hide console
s:   dump system properties
t:   dump thread list
x:   clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
--we are in new jar----------------------

To java code does not run, so I can not take the on-line training (at
least, not on my Mac...).

I had already ran the command line entry:
  java -version
and it returned the following:
$ java -version
java version "1.4.2_05"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_05-141.4)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2-38, mixed mode)
Jay-Snokes-Computer:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
Versions/1.4.2 jaysnoke$

   Is it possible that something in the java code is calling a previous
version of java (either because of a fault in the code, or a call to an
earlier version that is unsupported by 1.4.2?
thanks-
Jay