[G4] [OT] wrong Java version running???

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Fri Jul 1 19:24:47 PDT 2005

On Jul 1, 2005, at 16:10, Jay Snoke wrote:

> I am trying to take some on-line training that requires Java version
> 1.4.2 (verified with a tech-assist phone call) and appears to be
> written for Windows systems.  Each and ever time I access the server
> with any browser I have (Safari, firefox, IE, Netscape), a java
> console pops up in the background with the following data on it:
>
> Java(TM) Plug-in: Version 1.3.1
>
> [...]
>
> I had already ran the command line entry:
>  java -version
> and it returned the following:
> $ java -version
> java version "1.4.2_05"

This is an issue I don't understand.

On one hand, Safari does not require or use the Java plug-in. Indeed,
Apple's Java FAQ[1] clearly states that Safari supports Java applets
under v1.4.x only. My understanding is that the v1.3.1 plug-in provides
support for older browsers.

OTOH, if I check the configuration with an external tool such
BrowserHawk[2], the Java plug-in version is reported as 1.3.1. Why? No
clue. There's an issue somewhere, and it may not be with the Java
applet code, but with how Safari reports the Java version. The
/Library/Internet Plug-Ins configuration suggests that only Cocoa apps
can use the v1.4.x plug-in, but that doesn't explain why the applet
doesn't run in Safari. Disabling it from the Java 1.3.1 Plugin Settings
doesn't seem to have any effect.

I hope someone else can explain how this works, and how it can be
fixed. Failing that, here's what I'd try. First, see if the same
problem occurs with OmniWeb[3]. Second, see if adding the latest
version of the Java Embedding Plugin might not make it work with
browsers other than Safari[4]. Third, see if the applet in question can
be run from Applet Launcher[5], or saved as a jar file and run from
Finder, or perhaps even from Web Start[5].

[1] Java FAQ
<http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/>

[2] BrowserHawk
<http://www.cyscape.com/showbrow.asp>

[3] OmniWeb
<http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/>

[4] "Add the Latest Java Support to Mozilla Browsers"
<http://www.macworld.com/2005/05/secrets/juneosxhints/>

[5] /Applications/Utilities/Java/

<0x0192>