[G4] Sawtooth Drive Install Hardware

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Thu Jul 7 18:21:57 PDT 2005

Greetings ( + )!( + )

On Jul 7, 2005, at 6:07 PM, John Erdman wrote:

> I'd be interested in what you find out. I've changed out drives in my
> Sawtooth several times and it's fairly easy to do. But I've never
> heard or seen special hardware to allow you to install more than two
> drives... though I'd think it'd not be a terribly big project. Some
> people really do extreme mods to their cases and this wouldn't be too
> hard to do if you're at all handy with bending thinsheet metal. I'd
> worry a little about cooling capacity. The drives would occupy space
> and interefere with air movement.
>
> But I'm wondering why you'd  want to add a third or fourth drive
> inside.  I'm really enjoying my two firewire external drives that I
> put together for backups and large file transport. Right now I've got
> far more storage capacity external to my Sawtooth that I have inside.
> I actually find it to be very convenient, especially when I have
> another computer in another location and the .MAC service wouldn't fit
> my needs for rapid file transport between them.
>
> John

Well if you never move your box around you can do like we used to do in
the lab. cut a piece of cardboard, place it on top of one drive and
then place the second drive on top.

However if you are going to move your box, be sure that is shut-down
and when you get it to the new location, open the door and make sure
that everything is still in the right place.

Best Regards,

Harry (*^_^*)