[G4] 8X burns VS. 16X burns

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Sat Jul 16 17:48:41 PDT 2005

Greetings ( + )!( + )

On Jul 16, 2005, at 5:04 PM, Kevin Willis wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2005, at 6:14 PM, James Pacyga wrote:
>
>> Dumb question, but how fast would one expect a 4.7Gb (4.4Gb of data)
>> DVD-R to burn at 8x or 16x?
>>
>> The first one I did on my sawtooth 500/AGP took about 4-5 mins (it
>> was 4.2Gb or so).
>>

> I really don't know.  8X burns take me about 8 minutes.  I kinda
> figured it would take about 4 or 5 minutes at 16X.  It just made me
> wonder what was going on when it took the exact same amount of time at
> two different speeds.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

1x CD speed = 150 KB/sec.
1x DVD speed = 1350 KB/sec.
Therefore, an 8x DVD recording speed is equivalent to a ~72x (!) CD
recording speed, in terms of data transfer rate.

Best Regards, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
I know, when people see a cat's litter box, they always say, "Oh, have
you got a cat?"  Just once I want to say, "No, it's for company!"