[G4] Re: G4 Digest, Vol 10, Issue 28

Richard M. Kriss rmkriss at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 16 16:22:33 PDT 2005

>Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 09:47:23 -0400
>From: "Thomas J. Fobia" <tom578 at rochester.rr.com>
>Subject: [G4] G4 400Mhz Photoshop / OSX.4 upgrade question!
>
> Question #1: Is there any problem in doing an installation now on X2.8
> or would it behoove me to wait till I upgrade to the Tiger Operating
> System?
>
>      I realize that my processor is just too slow for a DVD upgrade (to
> a pioneer 109 model) and I am considering MacFranking via a Sonnet or
> OWC Mercury 1.4Mhz to get the necessary functionality

I don't think your processor is too slow for a Pioneer DVD-109.

> Question #2: How much speed (minimum) is needed to operate the pioneer
> 109? I only want enough speed for  good DVD burning (Im not in a hurry
> to spit out dozens at a session).

I had already upgraded my G4-450 AGP using the OCW 1GHz processor before I
got the DVD-109.  The DVD-109 works perfect with the 1GHz and something
tells me it will work with your 400 MHz if you don't try to do too much at
the same time.

> Question #3: Im not sure what kind of power supply is in this G4. Does
> anyone have an opinion as to whether or not a higher wattage is needed
> (or even available for that matter)?

I am using the same old Apple PS that came with the G4-400 and it seems to
be holding up okay with a PCI card, extra HD, DVD-109 and all kinds of crap
hung on USB ports