[G4] Join Two HFS Volumes?

Carlos carlos3543 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 28 16:30:02 PDT 2005

On Jun 28, 2005, at 3:14 PM, Alex wrote:

> But I don't understand what advantage this would provide over the
> default mount point /Volumes.

Okay, I think I've muddled the issue enough and may have been going
at it the wrong way. First off, thanks to everyone for trying to
help. Second, let me start over and try to be more clear.

1. I have a file server with multiple drives.
2. The drives are mounted at startup by OS X and appear on the
server's desktop (or the user's desktop who's logged in at the server
console) as separate volumes.
3. The three drives I currently have are mounted as follows: Startup
as root (/), and the other two as /Volumes/DriveA and /Volumes/DriveB.

So far so good, should be clear to everyone. Continuing:

4. When a network host connects to the server, the user has to mount
all three drives to be able to "see" them.

5. what I _want_ is to be able to mount a single network volume from
the host, and "see" the data contained on the other drives without
mounting them separately.

6. I want to administer this at the server end if possible, so that
nothing ever changes on the host side, regardless of how many times I
add, remove, or change the drives on the server.

Is that as clear as mud? Here's a little more information for the
long-suffering...

Right now, if I connect to the server and mount the root volume
(let's call it "Poseidon"), I get this on my host computer
( "Daedalus"):

[Daedalus:~] charles% ls -alF /Volumes
total 4
drwxrwxrwt    4 root     admin     136 Jun 28 19:12 ./
drwxrwxr-t   46 root     admin    1666 Jun 27 23:20 ../
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root     admin       1 Jun 27 23:20 Daedalus 80GB@ -> /
drwxr-xr-x   35 charles  charles  1146 Jun 23 16:53 Poseidon/

[Daedalus:~] charles% ls -alF /Volumes/Poseidon
<snip>
drwxrwxrwx    6 charles  charles      264 Jun 27 20:48 Volumes/
<snip>

[Daedalus:~] charles% ls -alF /Volumes/Poseidon/Volumes
total 20
drwxrwxrwx    6 charles  charles   264 Jun 27 20:48 ./
drwxr-xr-x   35 charles  charles  1146 Jun 23 16:53 ../
lr-xr-xr-x    1 charles  charles     1 Apr 27 20:26 Poseidon@ -> /

Which brings us back to "doe". I can't "See" any of the other drives
mounted on the server unless I mount them individually on each host.
This is what I'm trying to avoid. I want to mount _one_ network
volume, and see _all_ the file systems on the server, wherever they
happen to be mounted.

Thank you all, and I love this list!

Carlos